Clean-out your refrigerator in 10 simple steps using homemade cleaning solutions and other common household items. Preventive cleaning tips also included.
A Do-It-Yourself Guide
Cleaning Items Needed
If the fridge is not too dirty, the only cleaning solution you may need is hot soapy water. However, for cleaning tough stains, mildew and odours, use a solution of warm water, baking soda and lemon juice. For cleaning stainless steel surfaces, simply wet a soft cloth with white vinegar. If there is further need for you disinfect the fridge, clean it with hot salty water.
Use a very soft or microfiber cloth for cleaning your refrigerator. Microfiber cloths more effectively pick up microscopic dirt particles than ordinary cloth. Wash the cloth thoroughly after use, preferable in very warm water.
Use a plastic non-abrasive sponge on tough stains. Non-abrasive scrubbers are less likely to scratch or mar cleaning surfaces.
Use a cleaning brush for clearing dust and other debris from the condenser coils and the fans. These components are usually sited at the back of the refrigerator.
Cleaning in 10 Steps
- Switch of the refrigerator.
- Remove all the food.
- Take out all removable parts like drawers and shelves from the refrigerator.
- Wash the parts in warm soapy water. To avoid breakages and cracks, de-ice all glass and ceramic parts before applying warm water.
- Clean the interior of the refrigerator with the appropriate cleaning solutions. Don’t forget to also clean the gasket seal along the door edges.
- Thoroughly rinse the interior with warm water and a clean soft cloth. Use a dry cloth to dry it out.
- Clean the outside of the fridge with the appropriate cleaning solutions. Also check and clean the condenser coils and the fan with a brush.
- Put back the removable parts and restock the food.
- Switch the refrigerator back on.
- You’re done. Good Job!!!
Preventive Cleaning Tips
- Regularly take out old and mouldy food.
- Clean up food spills as they occur.
- Place a small open box containing baking soda at the bottom of the fridge. This helps eliminate odours.