Follow these simple steps to green clean your washing machine in order to make your appliance last long, and give your clothing a clean odour-free wash.
A Do-It-Yourself Guide
Cleaning Items Needed
Baking soda freshens, sanitizes and removes stains from cleaning surfaces.
White vinegar is good for removing oils, dirt and smells.
Lemon inhibits the growth of microorganisms and also gives a good smell.
Use a very soft or microfiber cloth for cleaning the washing machine. Microfiber cloths more effectively pick up microscopic dirt particles than ordinary cloth. Wash the cloth thoroughly after use, preferable in very warm water.
Use a plastic non-abrasive sponge on tough stains. Non-abrasive scrubbers are less likely to scratch or mar cleaning surfaces.
A used toothbrush will get the job done just fine. Use it on hard-to-reach places like the corners in the detergent drawer.
Cleaning in 10 Steps
- Make a homemade all-purpose cleaner by mixing a half cup of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of baking soda and several drops of lemon.
- Clean the exterior with the all-purpose cleaner you just made in the first step. Wipe with the cleaning cloth and use the sponges on tough stains.
- Mix one-quarter cup of water and an equal quantity of baking soda and pour the solution into the detergent tray.
- Fill the washing machine with very hot water or set the machine to its hottest setting.
- Run the machine at its longest wash setting.
- Take out all removable parts like the detergent tray and clean them thoroughly with the toothbrush and the all-purpose cleaner.
- Clean the inside of the machine using the toothbrush, the cleaning cloth and the all-purpose cleaner. For a front-loading washer, also take time to clean the rubber gasket thoroughly. With a top-loading washer, remember to clean the agitator.
- Do a quick wash cycle using hot water and about a litre of vinegar.
- Open the door of the washer to let it dry when the quick wash completes.
- You’re done. Good Job!!!
Preventive Cleaning Tips
- Clean your washing machine regularly
- Keep the door open after every wash cycle. This will let it dry properly and also get rid of odours.